Studying abroad is a highly rewarding and unique experience that benefits your personal development, career, and much more. It is quite natural that you may have some reservations against and fears about taking the huge step of overseas education.
Following are the top reasons to study abroad:
This benefit stems from the fact that overseas study is not an easy path. Going overseas to study presents unique challenges, and these are part of the experience and fun. Naturally, you will have concerns about stepping out of your comfort zone in your home country. But this is what makes the whole experience worthwhile and valuable. You can gain the confidence to do anything by taking up the challenge of overseas study.
Immerse in a different culture
One of the most valuable benefits of studying overseas is the opportunity to immerse in a new and exciting foreign culture. Such an enriching experience will see you doing things you would not expect and meet new persons of alien cultures. For example, when you live and study abroad, you can try new cuisines, attempt local activities, hear traditional music and explore many other things offered by the host country.
Education of top quality
One of the main objectives of travelling abroad for studies is to make use of top-quality education in a foreign country. Your study options can be greatly broadened by becoming an international student. You will not be limited by universities in your home country.
Mostly, top-quality education will be available in a foreign country. For instance, developed nations like the USA, UK, and Australia boast of the best educational institutions in the world. These countries feature the majority of the top-ranking universities in the world.
Hone language skills
One of the most attractive aspects of studying overseas is the opportunity to master foreign languages. Studying overseas offers the chance to immerse yourself in a new language, and the best way to learn it is to dive right in. Besides much practice in using the foreign language, your host university may offer more formal language courses.
Since English is the lingua franca of the world, it can be quite beneficial to study in countries like USA and UK. You can pursue education in English, hone skills in the language by talking to locals, and develop your language skills.
Better career opportunities
In the first place, gaining a top-quality degree is to help you in landing great career opportunities. In the globally connected world, employers are increasingly valuing graduates with international education and experience.
When you study abroad, you widen your understanding of the world, overcome the challenges of living in foreign countries, be culture-sensitive, and gain communication and new technology skills. These are all valuable traits sought by modern businesses during their hiring process, and these will only become more crucial in the future.
Wherever you pursue your foreign education, you will have the opportunity to meet and make friends with students from varied cultures and nationalities. This gives you the ability to appreciate the traditions and customs of other parts of the world.
Several lifelong friendships begin at universities where you will travel, live and learn along with each other. There is also many benefits of having a network of friends all over the world, particularly when you are building your career.
Besides experiencing the culture of your host country, you can travel the world starting from countries nearby. For instance, if you attend a UK university, you can easily fly to and explore continental Europe, in fascinating places like Rome, Paris, Barcelona and many more. Using the Schengen visa, you can travel to 26 European countries.
Thus, the overseas study offers the main benefit of travelling around the globe, which itself serves as a highly rewarding educational experience. Exploring new cultures and countries will impact your worldview and character, helping you prepare for a global career.
Overseas education has the following benefits:
- Communication skills: You can learn to communicate across multiple language barriers and improve public speaking and academic writing skills.
- Build confidence: Studying overseas helps build up your confidence while you navigate new situations, overcome challenges and develop your resilience.
- Work after study: In many advanced countries, there is the option for students to work for a few years in their host counties, following which they can even apply for citizenship. A post-study work visa can jump-start your career, especially with multi-national companies.
There are several personal benefits of studying abroad that will prepare you for the future.
- Independence: Overseas education will put you in an unfamiliar situation, where you will be new to everyone and everything. You will become independent fats, learning to do everything yourself rather than depend on your family for all tasks from cleaning and cooking to managing your study schedule.
- Skills of critical thinking: While you study abroad, you will constantly be asking questions, absorbing new information, seeking creative solutions to problems, and learning new paths of life. You will develop skills to think more rationally and clearly in public speaking, writing, and reading.
- Open-mindedness: You will throw yourself open to various modes of learning and living, absorbing new perspectives and ideas because of meeting persons from varied backgrounds and cultures.
- Overcome fears: When you study abroad, you will face challenges like using local transport, learning new habits, socializing with locals and international students etc. Once you overcome such fears and challenges, you will grow to become a mature person.
Better than holidaying
Compared to visiting a foreign country as a tourist, living and studying there helps you pick up uncommon facts about the city. For instance, you will know about the best local eateries, what are the usual tourist traps and how to get the best out of the city. You will learn about where and how to get the best of local cuisine, opening your world to Paella/Schnitzel/ Shawarma/ Baklava, and many others.
Learn in new ways
Very often, those studying abroad will experience new ways of teaching like hybrid learning- a mix of offline and online. This can be a daunting challenge, but it will open your mind to new ways of learning.
Learn about yourself
Throwing yourself into a totally new environment will help you figure out what you are good at or what you are not so good at. These are skills that can be picked up during overseas education.
In sum, these are some of the top benefits of pursuing education abroad.