Study in Singapore for Indian Students
If you are planning for higher studies in a foreign country, why not consider Singapore? Singapore is a safe nation and offers vast job opportunities. It is also one of the best countries to live in. Singapore is home to some of the best Universities in the world for research & innovation. International students opt for the best universities in Singapore because it offers affordable high quality of education, and cost of living is also low. Everything from college to jobs, people to society, everything here is very streamlined and cordial. Here is the guide for Indian Students who want to study in Singapore.
Why Study in Singapore?
- Global reputation for academic excellence
- Asian headquarters for top multinational companies
- Multicultural Society
- High Quality of life
- Low crime rate
- Safe & Secure country
- Top Industry Connections
- Affordable education than UK/USA/Australia
- English as Communication college
- Clean and green country
- Hub for many foreign universities
- Singapore degree valued by the employers worldwide
- Many scholarships opportunities
Study in Singapore – Eligibility Criteria
- A competitive overall score in 10th and 12th Grade from a recognized institute.
- IELTS/TOEFL English language proficiency test scores
Cost to Study in Singapore for Indian Students
International students from all over the world prefer Singapore as a destination for higher education. The Government of Singapore and Universities also offer scholarships to financially needy students to get admission in the university and course of their choice. High quality of education, Shorter duration of courses, Multiple admission intakes, and affordable Tuition fees makes Singapore the preferred Study Abroad Destinations for overseas students. The cost of studying in Singapore depends on the course and university of the student’s choice. On an average, the Tuition fees for a bachelor’s degree varies between S$10,000 (6 lakhs INR) to S$20,000 (12 lakhs INR). The Cost of Tuition may go up to S$50,000 (30 lakhs INR). Singapore has one of the two largest and oldest universities featuring continuously among the Top Universities of the world – the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. These two universities are the most preferred ones for International students in Singapore. Cost of living will be also one of the major expenses adding to the cost of Studying.
Cost to Study in Singapore– University Fees
Students have also to pay for other miscellaneous expenses apart from the Tuition Fees. University fees cost around S$400 (INR 24,000)-S$800 (INR 48,000) per month. The costs may be higher for bigger universities and less for smaller universities. The university fees include the following costs:
- Application Fees
- Student Development Fees
- Service Fees
- Student Transport Pass
- Other Charges
Cost of Living in Singapore for Indian Students
|Average Monthly Expense||In Singapore Dollar||In INR|
|Rental (University Halls of Residence)||200-300 (approx.)||12000-18000 (approx.)|
|Meals (University Hostel)||150-800 (approx.)||8000-40000 (approx.)|
|Bus Transport (Concessional Price)||120 (approx.)||7,200 (approx.)|
|Public Trains (Concessional Pass)||120 (approx.)||7.200 (approx.)|
Accommodation in Singapore
- University hostels: Most of the universities in Singapore have facilities for hostels for international students. The students have to tick the option of the hostel requirement in the application form to avail this facility. However, whether or not the students will get hostel accommodation depends on the availability in the university. The University hostels charges are around S$200 (INR 12000)-S$700 (INR 42000) depending on the type of room the student opts for. The room accommodation doesn’t include food.
- Rent: International students unable to get the hostel can search for rented flats nearby campus. Usually, rented rooms are easily available for students in the university surrounding areas. Rented rooms charges are around S$800 (INR 48000)- S$2,000 (120000). The students can choose the flat nearby the university to save on the travel costs.
- Off-campus hostels or PGs: There are many options for off-campus hostels in Singapore for international students. Off-campus hostels are a little bit more expensive than campus hostels. The cost depends on the facilities offered by the hostel. On average the cost comes to around S$400 monthly (approx.).
- Housing Development Board (HDB) flats: HDB flats are one of the special opportunities for housing in Singapore for international students. The flats come as cheaper alternatives to private rooms. However, the locations of these flats might not prove to be suitable for international students who would otherwise prefer accommodations in the nearby university surroundings. The rent for HBDs varies between S$250 (INR 15000) –S$1000 (INR 60000) monthly.
- Homestays: International students can also avail the options for homestays in Singapore. Many families who stay near the university campuses offer homestay facilities to students in return for monthly charges. Cost for homestays varies between S$900 (INR 540000)- S$2000 (INR 120000) including a meal and a room.
Other expenses in Singapore
- Food- The cost of meals comes to around S$300 (INR 18000) monthly for international students in Singapore. It is advisable for students to go for accommodations providing meals as part of the package since eating outside every day could put a financial burden on their pocket.
- Transport- Singapore has a very effective and affordable public transportation system. Transportation costs for international students come to around S$100 (INR 6000) to S$250 (INR 15000) monthly. The accommodation nearby to the campus will help the students to save on transportation costs.
- Personal expenses- Apart from food and transport, students also have personal expenses that they have to take care of while living in the country. It is advisable to keep around S$300 to meet one’s expenses in Singapore.
- Books and Stationery- While many universities usually provide materials for study and also have their own libraries, students will still need to refer to books and stationeries besides their campus libraries. Around S$200 (INR 12000) is needed to take care of Books & Stationery expenses.
Masters in Singapore for Indian Students
Masters in Singapore is typically a 1–2 years program that is offered in both coursework and research-based program modules. Most of the top universities in Singapore admit aspiring MS students in two intakes, in August and January. For an international student, a master’s degree in Singapore will cost him around 35,000-45,000 SGD. Thus, an Indian student aspiring to study in Singapore can estimate an annual cost of 19-24 Lakh INR.
Top Universities to Study Masters in Singapore
|Universities||Fees per annum||Popular Programs||Duration|
|National University of Singapore (NUS)||45,000 (SGD)||Masters in Computer Science, Finance, Management, Economics, Public Policy||1.5-2 Years|
|James Cook University-Singapore||51,000 (SGD)||Education, Clinical psychology, Professional Accounting||16 months|
|Nanyang Technological University (NTU)||36,200 (SGD)||Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Data Science||1 Year|
|Management Development Institute of Singapore||24,200 (SGD)||MSc in Biotechnology, Finance, Tourism, and Hospitality||1 Year|
|Singapore Institute of Management||5,700 (SGD)||Diploma in Accounting, Information Technology, Finance, and Business||1 Year|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design||51,700 (SGD)||Master in Urban Science, Policy and Planning, Architecture, Security by Design||1 Year|
|TUM Asia||20,420 (SGD)||MS in Aerospace Engg, Industrial Chemistry||2 Years|
Top Singapore Colleges for Indian Students
|Universities||QS World University Rankings|
|National University of Singapore (NUS)||11|
|Nanyang Technological University (NTU)||19|
|Singapore Management University (SMU)||561|
|Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)||151|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD)||1199|
|Singapore Institute of Management||301|
|Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS)||N/A|
Singapore has attracted a lot of international & Indian students to continue their higher education in this country. Singapore is one of the best destinations offering advanced education systems for students and working professionals. It also hosts top-ranked universities providing a variety to choose courses that suit your interests and needs. Also, the safe city atmosphere supports the learning activities of the students. Also, the tuition fee is considerably lower than other advanced Study Abroad Destinations, such as the US, UK and Germany. If you’ve liked our blog post, please like and share it! Drop your valuable comments!
Read More- Best Courses in Singapore for Indian Students