What is the procedure to get a Student Pass for Indian students in Singapore?
In Singapore, student visa is called student pass. So, after getting your offer letter from the university for a particular course, you will need to apply for the student visa or student pass to enter the country. Universities/colleges in Singapore will file for the same for Indian applications on behalf of the students to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA). They submit the applications through the SOLAR (Student’s Pass On-Line Application and Registration) system. New applications should be submitted at least 1 month but not more than 2 months before the commencement of the program.
Cost of Student Pass/Visa
There will be two types of fees that you need to pay. And these include:
- Processing Fee: This is around 1,538 INR (S$30) is needed for every application submitted to the ICA. It is a non-refundable amount that you need to pay through internet banking, credit or debit card.
- Issuance Fee: The authorities charge around 3,076 (S$60) on every student pass issued along with the S$30 as multiple-entry visa fee. This amount is payable when successful applicants complete the necessary formalities to collect their student passes.
Essential Documents for Student Pass/Visa
Here is the list of documents that you will require for the application process:
- A duly filled and signed student visa application forms – Form V36 and ICA Form 16
- A valid passport
- Receipt of the aforesaid application fee
- Offer letter sent by the university/college
- 2 passport-sized photographs, if applicable
- Bank statements along with fund proof
- Sanction letter of the bank loan, if necessary
- Fixed deposit (FD) receipts, if necessary
- Documents of previous education i.e. certificates, diplomas, degrees, or transcripts
- Language proficiency proof in the form of scores in TOEFL, GMAT, or GRE
Important Note: You may need some additional documents at the time of personal interview. These may be the documents of your financial status or academic performance.
How to Apply for the Student Pass?
As it is already mentioned that you will need to submit the application for your student pass at least 1 month before the commencement of the program, you can do it through the SOLAR system. Here are two major steps you will need to follow for the same:
STEP 1: Application Registration by the Institute of Higher Learning (IHL)
Before you submit your student pass application through SOLAR system, the concerned university or college should register the student through the same system first along with the following details:
- Name, date of birth, nationality, and gender of the student
- Course/program details, course commencement and end dates
- SOLAR application reference number
STEP 2: Submission of the e-Form 16 by the Students
Once the university/college has successfully registered the students, they may login to their SOLAR account to fill and submit e-Form 16. All applicants will need the following details before logging into the SOLAR space:
- Registration acknowledgement notice along with the login details given by the university/college
- Passport details like passport number, expiry date, etc.
- Address and contact details in Singapore. In case the details are not available, you can provide the registered address details of the university/college
- Email address of the applicant
- 1 recent passport-sized and colored photograph
Once you are done with the submission of this form, you will need to take a print out of the same and submit it to the ICA to complete other formalities for the issuance of your student visa/pass.