I want to know about spouse visa – a. criteria b. requirements for U.K. & Ireland?
Before getting into the requirements and criteria parts, let us understand the spouse visa first:
UK Spouse Visa
Citizens of the UK and settled individuals who have a spouse living outside the UK can take them to the country through the spouse visa. This visa type falls under the category of family visa. It is also known as marriage visa. You can take your spouse and even fiancé on this visa.
Eligibility Criteria for UK Spouse Visa
To get spouse visa for the UK, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- The person you are willing to join in the UK should be a citizen of the country
- Your civil partnership or marriage should be accepted in the UK
- While applying for the visa, your relationship should be at least 2 years old (it is to prevent arranged marriages because the law of the British does not recognize the same)
- People who are engaged need to show proof that they will marry within 6 months
- The partner who is living in the UK should meet all financial requirements
- The applicant should meet the English language requirements
Documents Needed for UK Spouse Visa
You will need the following set of documents to get the UK spouse visa:
- A duly filled visa application form – form VAF4A
- Valid passport with at least one empty page to affix visa
- Previous passports
- 2 recent passport-sized colored photographs
- Proof of English language
- Proof of financials
- Proof of your relationship i.e. photographs
- Your personal details such as full name and date of birth
- Previous immigration details, if any
- Criminal record certificate, if any
- National insurance number, if any
- Parents’ name, date of birth, and nationality in case you are applying from outside the country
- Proof of accommodation
- Biometric i.e. fingerprints and digitally clicked photograph
- Proof of spouse visa fees that you have paid
How Much Time it Takes to Get the UK Spouse Visa?
Depending on different factors, it can take up to 12 weeks. On the other hand, if you are applying within the UK either by post or online, it can take up to 8 weeks, while for in-person applications, you will get the answer within a day only. However, it might take longer in case of the following:
- If you fail to meet the income requirements
- If you cannot prove your English language proficiency
- If you have any criminal record
- If you have not provided the necessary documents
How Long I Can Stay in the UK With the Spouse Visa?
You can stay with your partner in the UK for 2 years and 6 months if you have applied for the spouse visa. On the other hand, you will only be allowed to stay in the UK for only 6 months if you have applied as a fiancé. If you want to stay with your partner beyond the given period, you will need to apply for your spouse visa extension at least 28 days before the expiration date. For this, you will need to prove that you and your partner have continuously been living together during the time.
Ireland Spouse Visa
If your partner is living in Ireland or citizen of Ireland, you can apply for the Irish spouse visa to meet and live for a certain period of time. Unlike any other country’s spouse visa, you will need to meet certain requirements.
Eligibility and Documents Requirements for Ireland Spouse Visa
Look at the following indicative list of documents that you will need to provide the authorities with to get the spouse visa for Ireland:
- A duly filled and signed application form along with the date
- Original copy of your passport
- 2 recently clicked passport-sized colored photographs
- A certified copy
- Passport along with the employment proof (letter from employer or pay-slips) of your partner
- In case you are traveling with your partner, you will have to provide the proofs like travel documents, accommodation booking, etc. that you are travelling together
- You will need to pay the processing fee if you are married