How to Find Part Time Jobs In Canada
Canada is the top choice among international students for study abroad destinations. Canada is home to over 5,50,000 international students, among them around 2,00,000+ Indian students have study permits. So, you also want to go to college in Canada? Do the costs force you to have a second-opinion about your choice? Are you afraid of expensive tuition, & the cost of living? Don’t worry at all! So, if you too are heading to Canada for higher studies, and looking for ways to manage your expenses via Part time Jobs, this blog post is for you. You might be hesitant to seek extra money from your parents or sponsor. You may want to be more self-sufficient. Therefore, you must read this post about How to Find Part Time Jobs in Canada that pay students well.
Benefits of Part Time Jobs In Canada
Let’s’ discover the Benefits of Part Time Jobs In Canada for International Students:
- Make up for Expenses: Study in Canada being a costly affair, Part Time Jobs will add a source of income that can be utilized to finance a part of the cost of studying in Canada.
- Financial Responsibility & Independence: Part-time jobs will help you to attain financial independence and will help you to learn how to manage finances all by yourself in a foreign country responsibly. You will also learn how to save money.
- Work Experience: Part time jobs in Canada will add value to Your CV and will provide you with an enriching career experience. It also proves you to be an extra hard-working individual willing to go the extra mile for studies in Canada.
- Skill Development: Student jobs in Canada teach you many skills such as time management, team spirit, communication skills, how to manage work & study life, and build your confidence in your professional & personal life.
Eligibility Criteria for Part Time Jobs in Canada
Part Time Jobs in Canada are permitted for those students only who’ve valid study visas. In order to be eligible for Part-time work On-Campus in Canada, students should meet the criteria listed below:
- Should have a current Student Visa.
- Social Security Number (SIN).
- Enrolled as a full-time post-secondary student in a study programme at one of the following institutions: a public or private secondary college, university, technical school, or CEGEP in Quebec.
- Public or Private secondary institution in Quebec that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer.
Note: – In Canada, your on-campus recruiter can be your university, a faculty member, a student organization, or a private company with some on-campus business on campus.
To be eligible for Off-Campus in Canada, students must have:
- Enrolled as a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program in Quebec.
- The duration of your program should be at least 6 months long leading to degree, diploma or certificate.
- A Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Rules & Regulations for a Student to Work in Canada
- You are allowed to work as many hours as you want On-Campus.
- You can work Off-Campus 20 hours per week during your semesters.
- During Semester breaks, you can work full-time. You are also permitted to work overtime or take 2 part-time jobs that are higher than your usual hours of work.
- To be able to work full-time, you should have been a full-time student before & after the semester break.
- You are not allowed to work before the beginning of your first-semester.
Types of Part Time Jobs in Canada Available for International Students
Let’s’ take a look at the top Part Time Jobs in Canada, both On- & Off-Campus:
- On-Campus Jobs
On-Campus Jobs in Canada are among the simplest & preferred methods to start a part-time job. You’ll be able to find a balance between your employment & academics due to less traveling time and living on campus. On-campus part-time job postings and advertisements are generally easy to find on notice boards, or on the official website of the Canadian university. On-Campus jobs is available in following departments:
- Teaching assistant
- Administrative office
- Campus Guide
- Tech Support
- Off-Campus Jobs
There are plenty of Off-Campus opportunities, and you can easily find them in the neighborhood near the college. A Study Permit is necessary to work Off-Campus. Be careful enough not to break any of the restrictions on your study permit, or you may be forced to leave Canada. Try to expand your company network and create contacts with leaders or individuals who can help you. Top Off-Campus jobs available:
- Server/ Bartender at restaurants
- Personal Tutor
- Retail outlets
- Dog walker
- Customer service
How to Find Part Time Jobs in Canada for International Students?
To start looking for part time jobs in Canada while studying, prepare a detailed resume consisting of your educational transcripts, skills, experiences & achievements. Following are the ways where you can find the Part time jobs in Canada:
- Online Job Portals: Find the right job according to your preference of location and type of work you are interested in.
- Bulletin Boards: One of the most common sources to find on-campus job openings.
- Career Center: Canadian universities have a dedicated career team who provide all the details regarding suitable part-time jobs.
- Networking: Find appropriate jobs by talking to people around you and watching for suitable jobs around the campus.
- Local Newspapers: Keep track of all off-campus job openings around you by following a local newspaper.
How Much Do Part Time Jobs in Canada Pay?
You are likely to receive an average salary of 22 CAD/hour for working part time in Canada. The minimum part time jobs salary per hour is 10 CAD/hour. As a matter of fact, night shifts are likely to pay a slightly higher part time job salary than day shifts.
Top 10 Part Time Jobs in Canada for International Students
|Part-Time Job Position||Salary in CAD (per hour)|
|Customer Service Assistant||11|
|Server/Bartender||74 (per night)|
When studying abroad, it is natural to be concerned about financing your studies. Part Time Jobs in Canada might help you to manage your expenses more effectively. They also train students in a variety of skills. We hope this blog has helped you on How to Find Part Time Jobs in Canada.